Friday, September 4, 2009

Wrap it up

Update - still a plateau ! If this keeps up, I'm actually going to go see a doctor about it.

For my birthday this year, my friend Lisa gave me a couple of "diet" cookbooks, one being The Most Decadent Diet Ever! by Devin Alexander. Wednesday night I made Renovated Reuben Wraps. SOOOO delicious! I LOVE Reubens. To me, the sign of a great deli/sandwich shop is how good their Reuben is. So, I couldn't wait to try this recipe. It was a hit - I've even been asked to make them again tonight.

1 1/2 Tbs. Russian Dressing (recipe follows)
1 low-fat, whole-wheat tortilla
1/2 c. finely shredded, low-fat Swiss cheese I couldn't find low-fat shredded Swiss cheese, so I used slices - one slice per wrap
3 oz. 98% fat-free corned beef oddly enough, I couldn't find corned beef, so I used low-fat pastrami - just as yummy
1/4 c. well-drained, refrigerated sauerkraut

Prepare the Russian Dressing
Preheat a non-stick skillet/frying pan. I didn't use a non-stick pan, and it worked without a problem
Lay the tortilla in the pan. Heat for 30 seconds - flip.
Sprinkle the cheese in a 3-inch strip down the center of the tortilla (leaving 2 inches at one end).
Cover the pan long enough to melt the cheese and heat the tortilla. This took about 1 minute
Remove lid, top cheese evenly with the meat, then add the sauerkraut and dressing.
Move tortilla to a flat surface.
Fold in the bare (2 inches) end, then "wrap" the tortilla.

Russian Dressing
3 Tbs. low-fat mayonnaise I used 2 Tbs. fat free mayonnaise and 1 Tbs. regular mayonnaise because I didn't have any low-fat mayo
1 1/2 Tbs. ketchup
1 Tbs. minced onion
1/4 tsp. bottled horseradish
1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Mix all ingredients

1 wrap
309 calories
27 g protein
29 g carbohydrates
9 g fat (4 g saturated fat)
55 mg cholesterol
3 g fiber

1 comment:

Miss L said...

This sounds DELICIOUS! We'll have to try it...and thanks for posting the Russian Dressing recipe. :)