Monday, August 31, 2009

10 reasons you’re not losing weight

I saw this subject line in my Inbox this morning, and needless to say I was intrigued. Some interesting stuff was listed in the article. My comments are italicized.

1. Not enough muscle – the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn. No matter what you’re doing, muscle rips through more calories than fat. This is why I alternate between cardio and strength training.
2. Genetics – Researchers estimate that your genes account for at least 50% - and as much as 90% - of your stored body fat. Your weight-loss challenge is just 10% to 50% greater. Sweet! (sarcasm) I don’t know how my sister and one brother lucked out, but the rest of us battle (or have battled) weight problems of one degree or another.
3. Getting older yes, I’ve noticed that this time it’s more difficult to lose weight than, say, 10 years ago. What to do about it? Lift weights and just MOVE. Funny story: last night I took a book to a woman that I visit teach. As I pulled back into my driveway, I thought “huh, I totally could have walked to her house.” It’s a mindset. When I’m in Europe (or even New York City), I don’t think twice about walking well, everywhere. When I was in Austria in April, we would walk probably 20-30 minutes to get to work. Then we’d walk another 10-15 to get to the “downtown” area for dinner. But last night I took my car to go a couple of blocks. I’ll have to work on that mindset.
4. Your body can’t keep upThis didn’t quite make sense to me, it said something out how our hormonal responses can’t cope with our sedentary lifestyles. So, another reason to BE ACTIVE and fill up on low-calorie foods (Does anybody have a list of the best, most filling, low calorie foods?).
5. The problem is in your medicine cabinet – A host of drugs that treat diabetes, depression, high blood pressure, inflammatory disease and more affect weight regulation. Luckily, this reason doesn’t apply to me, so whew! However, what the article suggests is to ask your health care provider if an alternate drug or a lower dose could work, but don’t change your medications without discussing it first.
6. You underestimate your portions and caloriesthis could very well apply to me. So, when I say that I’m within my caloric intake for the week, I could very well be off. I will have to pay closer attention. However, I really do hate measuring stuff, so I’ll keep trying to eyeball it.
7. You eat mindlessly or when distracted – distractions can lead to overeating. Make it a rule to always eat from a dish, never from a bag or carton.
8. You deprive yourselfIt’s the vicious cycle I’ve been in so many times. I restrict what I eat so much that when I finally give in and eat something I think I shouldn’t, I feel guilty and angry. Then I figure, what the heck, I’ve already ruined my diet for the day, I might as well eat what I want and then start again tomorrow. Oh, the whole “I’ll start again tomorrow” trap… it drags me down. I do like the suggestion in the article “Take the focus away from that list of bad foods and emphasize those that are good for you. If 90% of the time you eat a wholesome diet of ample fruits and vegetables, some whole grains, lean meats or other sources of protein, then the other 10% doesn’t really matter.”
9. You’re usually good, but… – unless you’re on vacation or dining out – or my problem is unless I’m on-site. When I’m on-site, it’s hard, if not impossible to have a healthy “home-cooked” meal. Most, if not all, of my meals are dining out. One suggestion is to take half of the restaurant meal home to have the following day. As long as I have a refrigerator, that will work – I guess what I can do if not is just leave the other ½ of the meal (waste but not waist).
10. You overestimate your calorie burn – dieters can easily out-eat their workout. I can’t even estimate the calories I burn, so I just work out and try to eat my best (and hope for the best).

No comments: