Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Push-up is a four-letter word

I know it’s really six letters, but trust me – it’s a four letter word. As part of my new “fit by 40” regime, I try to work out at least 5 times a week. Right now I alternate a *Turbo Jam cardio workout with a *Slim in 6 strength training workout.

Strength training is a critical component of fitness. Strong muscles help you lose weight. Strong muscles are healthy for your heart. Strong muscles protect your joints and your back. Strong muscles give you a mental boost. Strong muscles help fight free radicals. Strong muscles slow bone loss that accompanies aging and increases bone density.

The Slim in 6 has a lot of lunges, squats, pliés, push-ups and sit ups. Who would have thought that 90 seconds of push-ups could be so difficult? I was quite shocked – I do a couple of push-ups, rest, do a couple more, rest, continue for the 90 seconds. I was so happy when I was finally able to do ten in a row. I think heavier people are at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to push-ups – way more weight to actually push up. Maybe thinner people have an easier time of it? I’m hoping as my weight goes down (and, of course, my strength is trained), that push-ups will become easier. When I can do push-ups for all 90 seconds, there will be much rejoicing.

* I’m not endorsing any workout video, diet regime, etc. I’m just describing what I’m currently doing.

1 comment:

Miss L said...

I've been starting to do some weights, too, but I've noticed that sometimes the next morning I feel particularly puny (ie: very tired!). Oh well, something to work on too! :)