Thursday, August 20, 2009

Holy Plateau, Batman

How is it possible that I have reached a plateau already? I’ve lost weight enough times that I know that everyone, eventually, hits a plateau – but after three weeks? Come on! I’m eating less (and better), I’m exercising at least 5 times a week, and you’re telling me that I have stopped losing weight already? It’s been over a week since I’ve lost any weight. Now, I know that there are other benefits to eating better and exercising, but I really would like to see some visible benefits.

Anywho, because of this plateau issue, I did some looking online and found some ideas on how to get past the plateau. Several sites had the same suggestions, so they have to be good, right? Some suggestions annoyed me, but they all were helpful.

1. Hang in there. The annoying part? The website said “even dropping a third of a pound per week means that in a year, you'll be down a whole 17 pounds.” Like I only want to lose 17 pounds in a year. If I’m “depriving” myself, I better dang well lose more weight than 17 pounds a year.

2. Increase physical activity. Maybe I could wake up even earlier and workout longer… I’ll have to see what kind of energy that requires.

3. Increase protein (but only up to 25% of daily calories). I’ll have to make sure that the lunches I take to work have more protein in them.

4. Shake it up! – i.e. try alternating calorie-cutting days with less-restrictive maintenance days (but maintain the same weekly caloric intake), switch to a new type of exercise, alternate aerobic workouts with light weight training (I already do this, but maybe I should switch aerobic workouts).

I will try over the next week or two to “shake it up.” I’ll change my workout program, try different exercises, etc. Since I’m trying new things, that means I’m “hanging in there,” right? I will keep you posted.

1 comment:

Miss L said...

You might also try some visualizations. I visualize all my fat going to three small, starving children who are slowly drawing mass and healthy from my excess (having to do with the law of matter that it can neither be created nor destroyed...I just figure, I'll pass my extra matter along).