Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Fab and Fit by 40

Like I really need to start another blog, right? However, that’s just what I’m going to do.

Two things happened recently:

1. In July, a friend of mine was visiting from France. I was so happy to spend some time with her and one of my former companions. As you can expect, since we haven’t seen each other in (muffle, muffle) years, many pictures were taken. I was appalled when I saw myself in these pictures. Now, I’ve never been photogenic, but these were awful. After seeing these pictures, I tried to motivate myself to do something about it. Luckily, the second thing happened soon after.

2. My friend Amanda joined Weight Watchers and invited me to join with her. I quickly accepted. Working on losing weight with a friend to back you up is always easier than doing it alone. One of the main benefits is that when we go out to eat, we’ll both be looking for the same healthy options.

I’ve been fighting a weight problem for the past, oh, 39 years. OK, I might be exaggerating a little, but I have had a weight for as long as I can remember.

I opted against Weight Watchers, but will still be moral support for Amanda (and she for me). Although the pricing for Weight Watchers is reasonable, I didn’t really want to spend money each week to weigh in. Another friend of mine showed me a free website that tracks weight loss – sparkpeople.com. So, I signed up. sparkpeople.com provides recipes, fitness ideas, etc. and allows you to track nutrition intake, exercise time, etc. I’ll have to see how it goes.

Anywho, I thought that it might be helpful to start a weight loss blog to chronicle the adventure. It’s mainly for me and my own accountability, but if anyone else can get something from my postings, all the better. I’ll be posting about recipes, exercises, successes, failures and anything else I want to post (it is my blog, you know).

So, my goal is to be (as you can see from the URL) fab and fit by 40. I know that being fabulous has nothing to do with size, but it’s very hard for me to separate the two. So, I have 11 months to get in shape – I’m not shooting for a particular size or weight because body structures can differ so much. I’m always frustrated with those programs that say “oh, you’re 5’7”, you should weigh XXX.” I mean, come on, people come in all shapes and sizes and trying to stick all people who are the same height into the same weight range is ridiculous.

So, sit back and enjoy the ride. I hope I do.

2 comments:

Amber said...

I, too, have experienced picture shock. It always catches you off guard. What I see in the mirror, and what I see in a picture are completely different. I've been trying to be fit and fabulous at 40, too, so I'm going to keep in touch with your blog. Thanks for doing this.

Miss L said...

Yay! I'm not sure how I've missed this, but I'm super excited for you and am joining you in your quest! You go girl!!!! :)